Education technology to empower learning.
Durham, NC, US
Founded by educators and technologists passionate about improving education, Clever is on a mission to unlock new ways to learn for all students. Already used by more than 65% of U.S. K-12 schools, Clever brings all applications into one secure portal and provides single sign-on for everyone. With the leading network of digital learning providers, Clever makes school more engaging, personalized, and fun.
Clever is seeking a creative and collaborative product designer to lead design for our App Store. On the App Store team, we know how time-consuming and confusing it can be to purchase edtech that’ll actually work in the classroom. Our mission is to build the best place for schools and school districts to find, evaluate, and purchase educational software for their teachers and students.
That’s where you come in: You’re focused on understanding users and crafting easy-to-use products. You’re excited to apply your skills to a broad spectrum of challenges: from designing a login page for a five-year-old, to creating an engaging experience for middle-school teachers, to researching the needs of IT directors at the largest school districts in the country. You excel at defining the problem space, gathering insights from users, iterating quickly, crafting beautiful interfaces, and working with engineers to see your ideas implemented.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
Lead design for Clever’s App Store, the best place for schools and school districts to find, evaluate, and purchase educational software for their teachers and students.
- Research the problems faced by Clever’s diverse array of users (students, teachers, school administrators) to discover opportunities for improving existing products and creating new experiences they truly love.
- Understand the business strategy and articulate how proposed designs map to business needs.
- Collaborate with our product, engineering, and customer-facing teams to create solutions that serve clear business and user needs.
- Design flows, prototypes, sketches, and high-fidelity visuals for your features and products.
- Work closely with engineering to ensure a high-quality implementation.
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other designers and stakeholders on your product.
- Champion a high bar for design excellence across Clever’s products and services.
- Mentor other designers and contribute to product & design process improvements.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- You have 2+ years of professional experience as an in-house product designer.
- Your portfolio showcases high quality work in user research, interaction design, visual design, and ideation.
- You’re a flexible designer who spans the end-to-end design process — from outlining workflows on a whiteboard, sketching wireframes on paper, to putting together high fidelity prototypes.
- You’re capable of iterating quickly, rolling up your sleeves, and being self-directed.
- Your design is driven by a deeply developed awareness of your users and their context, asking “why?” as often as “what?”
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and can present designs to and gather feedback from internal teams, executives, and external partners.
- Prior experience designing for education or marketplaces is a plus.
- You have a commitment to equity and belonging. At Clever, we believe the classrooms we serve and our company’s halls should be spaces that are diverse, equitable, and inclusive. That is why we are committed to building diverse teams, inviting every voice, and creating a safe space for everyone to be their authentic self. By fostering equity and belonging within our circles of influence, we unlock learning for ALL students.
- A competitive salary and equity package in a well-funded, high-growth company
- Unlimited Paid Time Off and Paid Parental Leave
- Top-notch healthcare, vision, and dental coverage for you and your family
- Best-in-class mental healthcare service that supports employees' mental and emotional wellness
- Unlimited book learning credits to amazon.com and small, local bookstores
- Professional development budget and LinkedIn Learning subscription with unlimited access to thousands of expert-led online courses
- Annual company retreat and quarterly team events to connect with fun, bright coworkers