On-demand moving and storage with on-demand retrieval.
Clutter is an on-demand, technology company based in Los Angeles that is disrupting the $50B/year self-storage and moving industries. We’ve built an end-to-end logistics and supply chain platform that enables us to offer consumers a much more convenient solution at price parity with the incumbents. We’ve raised $300M from a number of VCs, including SoftBank, Sequoia, Atomico and GV (formerly Google Ventures). We have 500+ team members and tens of thousands of customers in 7 major markets across the US with plans to be in 50+ markets, domestically and internationally, within the next 5 years!
At Clutter, we're fortunate to be providing a consumer value proposition that people love and one that makes economic sense - a true product/market fit that few startups ever find. To deliver on our promise to consumers, team members and investors, we're focused on hiring, training and retaining exceptional individuals. This means that we have a very thorough interview process and maintain high performance expectations, but we'll always be transparent with you and respectful of your time.
Clutter is looking for an entrepreneurial, results-driven Head of Retail Strategy to lead Clutter’s Retail expansion. Clutter has opened 20 retail stores, located within Walmart stores, and plans to open 100+ within the next 12 months. These high-volume, high-visibility locations provide a unique opportunity to connect with new customers and sell both physical products as well as moving and storage services.
The Head of Retail Strategy will drive growth to deliver P&L results. They will define growth strategies to multiply product and service sales. They will explore and evaluate new ways to leverage stores that benefit Clutter’s business holistically, considering Clutter’s Walmart stores as one touchpoint in a broad network. To do this, the Head of Retail Strategy will create an outstanding customer experience, and motivate excellent staff performance. They will also be responsible for setting budgets, managing operational costs, engaging with suppliers, and monitoring financial activities.
This is a very unique and exciting opportunity for the right candidate to lead one of Clutter’s most important strategic initiatives from the ground up.
What you’ll do:
- Define and own the growth strategy for Clutter’s Retail vertical - there are 20 current Clutter stores located within Walmarts across the country with plans to expand to 100+ within 12 months
- Obsess over the customer experience in stores to develop a strong brand halo around Clutter Walmart stores
- Develop a cohesive online/offline journey that drives customers to Clutter’s service offerings
- Evaluate, pilot, and model new offerings that could be provided in-stores, such as truck rental, to motivate additional customer engagement
- Set scalable policies and processes to drive operational excellence
- Partner with Operations and People teams to coordinate employee recruitment, training, performance evaluation, promotion and termination activities
- Work closely with Finance & Accounting to assist in budget preparation and expense management activities
- Manage operational costs and drive efficiencies through the network as we scale from 20 to 100+ stores
- Work closely with external vendors and internal cross-functional teams including Operations, Product, Design, Marketing, Finance and People teams to deliver P&L results
- Set, monitor and report on key results on a regular basis and strive for continuous improvement across the board
What we're looking for:
- Desire to be scrappy and continuously strive to do more with less
- Ownership mentality and propensity to take responsibility for key outcomes
- Ability to evaluate problems using a longer time horizon and not sacrifice long-term value for short-term results
- Strong work ethic and drive to do what it takes to get the job done
- Strong bias for action and ability to produce high-quality results in ambiguous situations with limited input
- Leverage data and creative problem solving to solve difficult or complex challenges
- Meticulous attention to detail and highly organized
- Ability to collaborate and build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree from top university, MBA a plus
- 8+ years of previous experience as a General Manager or Management Consulting / Investment Banking
- Obsession with continuously improving the customer experience both digitally and physically
- Demonstrable skills working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, having to solve for gaps in information to drive strong impact and measurable performance results
- Strong understanding of retail experiences today, previous work with omnichannel retail a plus
Clutter is committed to fostering a fair, inclusive, and equal work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities that we serve, where each team member is empowered to come to work as their true self. Diverse teams are more successful, which is why Clutter aims to be a leader in workplace equality and move both our company and the industry forward.