Education technology to empower learning.
Durham, NC, US
Clever is the most widely used single sign-on platform for K-12 education, and 65% of students in the U.S. log into Clever monthly. 87,000 K-12 schools and over 600 educational application companies trust Clever to make access to educational technology easy, safe, and secure. Clever is based in San Francisco and founded by educators and technologists passionate about improving education.
Clever is seeking to hire the engineering manager of the Clever App Store team. This individual will be a hands-on technical leader, reporting to the VP engineering and managing a team responsible for the Clever library and app stores used by teachers, curriculum leaders, and administrators to discover, try, purchase, and use outstanding EdTech applications. They will define and execute on a roadmap of projects to expand the use of Clever by districts and apps, working cross-functionally with departments outside of engineering including product, design, marketing, and customer success.
The ideal candidate is an experienced technical leader with expertise in cloud services and data processing workflows, who has a track record of successfully delivering projects and responding to customer needs. Because of Clever’s central role in the educational technology ecosystem this role is critical to Clever’s growth.
The Clever App Store team works across the stack to deliver products that are robust and delightful for students, educators, and application partners to use. Clever has a microservice container-based architecture and is hosted entirely in AWS. We use Go for backend services, with Node, TypeScript, and React for frontend services.
You will manage a team that:
- Works with product management to develop, evolve, and grow the App Store product.
- Operates the product to ensure it is highly available, including on-call rotations.
- Detects and responds to production issues.
- Works with the infrastructure team to ensure services run smoothly and efficiently.
- Work closely with a product manager to define, prioritize, and deliver an outstanding product for our customers.
- Prioritize key engineering objectives and enable the team to achieve them.
- Cultivate a high availability culture throughout the team and organization.
- Lead, mentor, and grow a world class engineering team.
- Recruit outstanding engineers for the team.
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering management team to define engineering best practices and to support their organizational adoption.
- Understand and prioritize the Clever engineering culture - see our blog post on Defining Clever's Engineering Culture
What we're looking for:
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- 4+ years experience as an engineer with cloud and data processing workflow skills
- Strong fundamentals in software engineering with modern tech stacks
- Experience being a technical leader with teams of engineers
- Technical expertise with the tools we use: AWS, Docker, Go, Node, etc.
- Capability to mentor engineers through collaboration and code reviews
- Excellent communication skills
- At Clever, we believe the classrooms we serve and our company’s halls should be spaces that are diverse, equitable, and inclusive. That is why we are committed to building diverse teams, inviting every voice, and creating a safe space for everyone to be their authentic self. By fostering equity and belonging within our circles of influence, we unlock learning for ALL students.
- A chance to revolutionize the way schools use technology
- A competitive salary and equity package in a well-funded, high-growth company
- Unlimited Paid Time Off and Paid Parental Leave
- Top-notch healthcare, vision, and dental coverage for you and your family
- Best-in-class mental healthcare service that supports employees' mental and emotional wellness
- Unlimited book learning credits to amazon.com and small, local bookstores
- Professional development budget and LinkedIn Learning subscription with unlimited access to thousands of expert-led online courses
- Annual company retreat and quarterly team events to connect with fun, bright coworkers