Advancing 3D printing.
Staff Opto-Mechanical Systems Engineer
Redwood City, CA, US
Job Description / Skills Required
Working at the intersection of hardware, software, and molecular science, we are committed to delivering on the promise of 3D printing, enabling commercial customers to go beyond basic prototyping to 3D manufacturing.
Our company is built on the idea that when diverse fields of study come together, we are able to solve challenging problems. You will be joining a diverse team with a dynamic culture, where team success is as important as celebrating individual contributions. We pride ourselves in developing an environment where we all can teach, learn, and grow together.
Carbon is seeking a multi-faceted and motivated Opto-Mechanical Engineer to join our rapidly growing team to help us design/build new groundbreaking additive manufacturing solutions. As a member of a tight-knit hardware team, you'd contribute ideas and develop practical solutions to an evolving list of challenges. Your work will help ensure that we deliver great products and delight our customers while changing the world of additive manufacturing.
- Work closely with our Optics and Systems Engineers, conceptualize opto-mechanical designs.
- Perform engineering analysis of parts and assemblies that can include: optics mounting strategies, detailed tolerance, thermal, stress, fatigue, lifetime, manufacturability, failure modes, and cost.
- Collaborate directly with cross functional teams to specify system requirements, implement designs, and troubleshoot issues.
- Create and maintain documentation to enable effective knowledge transfer throughout the company.
- Identify appropriate vendors and build initial relationships for prototype procurement.
Skills and Requirements:
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical degree.
- 5+ years experience taking opto-mechanical designs successfully from concept to production.
- Proficiency in Solidworks or similar CAD software.
- A strong mechanical engineering background with fluency in CAD and a solid understanding of dimensioning / tolerancing principles.
- Experience developing specifications for optical/optomechanical/optoelectronic assemblies.
- Demonstrated experience in developing systems and processes for optical alignment and metrology for optical elements and optical systems preferred.
- Knowledge of precision optical/mechanical alignment tools and techniques.
- Please include your portfolio along with your resume/CV
Nice to have:
- Experience identifying, qualifying, and managing turnkey suppliers.
- Scripting and UI development expertise for automated alignment tools with motion control, sensors, and/or machine vision components.
- Proficiency in MATLAB/LabVIEW/Python preferred
- Experience in a production environment / comfort working with technicians on the manufacturing floor as well as in the lab.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Carbon, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.