23andMe is looking for an experienced writer and editor who has proven skills in creating clear and concise prose. Familiarity with genetics, health, and scientific research is a plus. This individual will work closely with our Managing Editor, who created and developed the company’s blog. Together they will build and execute a content strategy for our corporate blog and coordinate strategy with our product content teams, marketing team and our social media team. In addition to working alongside the Managing Editor, they will report to the Director of Media Relations, as the blog is frequently used as a company announcement vehicle, and a publishing house for priority narratives and storylines (i.e. certain customer stories, seasonal content, etc.). As part of the communication team, this individual should also expect to be involved in other public-facing content creation.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
The ideal candidate should be comfortable creating and editing a steady stream of articles. In addition, they will have experience with content optimization, analytics, and performance metrics. Knowledge of WordPress, including SEO optimization, is a plus. This individual should be a creative thinker and storyteller who can engage our external audience online and have experience producing new content types, including video. We’re seeking someone who can roll up their sleeves and take initiative, with limited guidance, but also able to work with teams cross-functionally. They are able to learn from failure and quickly iterate while maintaining a positive attitude.
Like us, the ideal candidate is mission-driven and passionate about providing consumers with more direct and affordable access to their genetic health and ancestry information. They’re empathetic - with a desire to contribute to something meaningful that truly impacts peoples’ lives, and they are not afraid to try to break down barriers to make it happen. Ultimately, this person will ensure our blog content is on brand and adds value to existing and potential visitors.
What you’ll do
- Write and edit articles for 23andMe’s blog
- Help map out and execute a content strategy for 23andMe’s corporate blog, which includes overall technical and project management and ongoing optimization
- Advise and implement new approaches and content types to usher our blog onto a more modern platform
- Coordinate with the product content team to improve customer engagement, leveraging the blog
- Work with other our product and research teams to prioritize content creation and timing
- Conduct keyword and SEO research to understand customers’ needs
- Monitor web traffic and engagement (e.g. conversions and bounce rates)
- Coordinate with marketing and design teams to illustrate articles
- Follow industry-related best practices and generate ideas around trending topics
- Edit and update old content, as needed
What you’ll bring
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in journalism, digital media, IT, marketing or communications
- Experience developing clear blog content strategies or consumer brand content strategies
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and work towards both long-term goals and short-term deliverables
- Passion for working in a highly collaborative team environment
- Experience measuring impact of content strategy, and leveraging data to drive overall plans
- Track record of delivering results in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Bachelor’s Degree or related experience required
- Google Analytics experience a plus
- WordPress, CSS and HTML experience a plus
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.