Platform for epigenetic sequencing
At Cambridge Epigenetix, we are an innovative and dynamic company with diverse and highly engaged staff. We believe in maximising our collective skills and experience and fostering great team work. We are passionate about realising the power of epigenetics by pioneering new epigenetic tools, utilising epigenetics as biomarkers and therapeutics and we are looking for a forward thinking, enthusiastic Data Scientist to help translate our vision into success.
An exciting opportunity is available for a highly skilled Data Scientist to join Cambridge Epigenetix’s Data Science team focusing on computational biomarker discovery and development.
The candidate will contribute to the delivery of a robust biomarker discovery platform that is at the centre of Cambridge Epigenetix’s Liquid Biopsy Programme for the detection of early stage cancer. The data science team covers responsibilities for the analysis/systems development across clinical genomic biomarker development, experimental study design and bespoke data analysis. The role will encompass projects and responsibilities across these areas.
Working in the highly regulated environment of molecular biology IVD development and commercial partnerships; you will enjoy working as part of a dyanamic and fast-moving business. As the company expands into the clinical diagnostics market, there are exciting opportunities to make an impact on human health and wellbeing.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience and skill sets that cover the following areas:
- Machine Learning / AI in a high-dimensional setting
- Scientific software engineering
- Visualisation, user interface development using modern web technologies
- Computational biomarker development, bioinformatics and genomics/epigenomics (preferably in a clinical setting)
Adept at programming languages commonly used in data science such as R, Julia, Python and the Python data science stack (Numpy,Pandas, TensorFlow etc), and Web Technologies, as well as have competence using Linux and associated technologies. Good programming / software development practice is a requirement as well as knowledge of the fundamentals of data persistence/databases. Intellectual curiosity in any/all of the four areas and a strong team player are of paramount importance.
- Implementation of functionality in the BioMarker Discovery Platform
- Testing / Maintenance of current functionalities in the BioMarker Discovery Platform
- Bespoke data analysis projects
- Assessment of new technologies for application across data science
- Preparing analysis plans, controlling and reporting their execution
- Adherence to and understanding of quality standards
- Making recommendations and following strategic briefs and instructions to ensure timely delivery to projects with great attention to detail
- Experience in designing complex biomarker discover studies
- Experience analysing high throughput genomic datasets such as RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, WGBS
- Deep understanding of machine learning algorithms, statistical learning and data structures
- Proven contributions to open source projects e.g. on GitHub
- Experience of using and deploying systems to cloud platforms ( e.g. GCP), as well as the use of genomics specific cloud platforms (such as DNAnexus)
- Experience of applying bioinformatics/informatics in a clinical setting, or developing clinical bioinformatics applications/systems and diagnostics
- Understanding of Epigenomics, Cancer Biology, Cancer Epigenomics/Genomics Field, Immunology
- 2+ years industry experience, besides any research/academic experience
- part of a dynamic and fast-moving business and can accept and embrace change when required
- Good interpersonal skills and willingness to communicate work appropriately to an array of different backgrounds and audiences
MSc with industry experience or Ph.D., Postdoctoral experience, bioinformatics, computer science or other related area.
Who Are We?
Cambridge Epigenetix (CEGX, www.cambridge-epigenetix.com) is a University of Cambridge spin-out company pioneering the development of novel and innovative technologies aimed at revolutionising the field of epigenetics research, unlocking the potential epigenetics has as an indicator and influencer of disease, health and wellbeing. Headquartered at the Chesterford Research Park (www.chesterfordresearchpark.com).
Cambridge Epigenetix is funded by Google Ventures, Sequoia Capital, New Science Ventures and Syncona.