A social game developer creating a series of free-to-play mobile games.
Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Mobile Backend team, you’ll pioneer the next generation of mobile games, tools, and features, with rapid release cycles that will an immediate impact. We’re a very collaborative team, focused on deeply understanding our millions of users in order to consistently surprise and delight them.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop personalization and social features for the Episode reader and creator communities
- Build up a recommendations engine to help classify our library of more than 45,000+ stories
- Prototype our next generation visual engine for immersive storytelling
- Collaborate closely in small, nimble, cross-functional teams with product managers, artists and designers to define our next generation platform
- Design and implement scalable, reliable and maintainable cross-platform technologies for our iOS and Android gaming platforms
- Participate in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from ideation to specification to release
What You Bring to Mobile Team:
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and object oriented programming
- Bonus points for experience with Objective-C, C++ or C
- Experience in Python, Google App Engine, AWS or related backend technologies are always a plus
- 4+ years work experience, including relevant experience shipping mobile applications on iOS and/or Android
- BA/BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline
Note: Prior game industry experience is NOT required