Bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere, and share them easily.
Dropbox is a leading global collaboration platform that's transforming the way people work together, from the smallest business to the largest enterprise. With more than 500 million registered users across more than 180 countries, our mission is to unleash the world’s creative energy by designing a more enlightened way of working. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Dropbox has more than 12 offices around the world.
Our Engineering team is working to simplify the way people work together. They’re building a family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people around the world. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
We are looking for an engineering leader to take on the role of Director of Engineering, Sync. The ideal candidate is a senior leader with experience shipping product in deeply technical domains such as distributed systems, databases, or filesystems.
Sync is at the heart of Dropbox. As part of the broader Cloud Filesystem group, the Sync team is responsible for the core sync product, focusing on how individuals experience sync. In addition, this team leads the transformation from Dropbox as the home for your files to Dropbox as the home for all your work. You will lead the team and be responsible for revenue growth from increasing the customer value and engagement of our Files products.
As a senior member of the leadership team, you will have an opportunity to define next generation sync platform and product strategy, including:
- Positioning Dropbox as an on-premise file servers replacement ($10+B market)
- Extend the Dropbox sync platform to support a world beyond files
- Continue to drive innovation in sync and extend Dropbox’s lead
Key Cloud Filesystems Projects
Product and user experience. The Cloud Filesystem organization is also actively working to give more teams than ever the ability to try, love, and buy the new team files product. Some example projects which have a huge impact on the way business and professional users experience the product:
- Company Dropbox Model - give business users greater control over how their teams organize, share, and manage permissions on their content.
- SmartSync - a feature that helps you save space on your hard drive. Access every file and folder in your Dropbox account from your computer, using virtually no hard drive space. With Smart Sync, you can:
- Choose if individual files or folders are available online-only or locally on your computer
- Select a default sync setting for new files and folders that are shared with you
- Identity and team model investments - integral to our efforts around the Company Dropbox Model.
Technical foundation. One of the key areas of focus for the team is to build a sync platform for the next 10 years. We are looking to build a system that enables us to kill the on premise file server, which requires the system to support much greater scale and extensibility. We have two ongoing projects in this area, internal codenames Nucleus and Cypress. Nucleus focuses on client side Sync Engine and protocol and Cypress focuses on server side and data model improvements.
A world beyond files. The Cloud Docs project is a strategic investment in the Dropbox Sync Platform to support and integrate non-file content into the core Dropbox experience.
- Evolve sync at Dropbox by delivering the next generation of reliable, scalable, and extensible sync platform.
- Ensure that the team has a compelling long-term vision and strategy.
- Lead a team of 40-50 engineers.
- BS degree in a technical or design related discipline (CS preferred)
- 10+ years of management experience in a technology product or infrastructure organization
- Experience leading high performing teams
- Experience building and shipping highly complex systems
- Strong technical background and intuition
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and influencing skills
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).