Provides an incredibly simple payments API with associated merchant account setup.
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We think that building an internet business is a problem rooted in code and design, not finance. We also believe that there are far too many barriers to doing business on the internet and that the opportunities to do it are not equally distributed throughout the world. To break down those barriers and make the opportunities available to anyone, we’re designing the future of tools and infrastructure for starting, running, and scaling an online business—from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a diverse set of designers of many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties to join our small (but growing!) team in San Francisco.
The Design team works across most projects at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the Product Design team and the role
We’re about 25 people total on Design, and we’re divided into teams: Communication Design, Brand Design, Research, Writing, Design Operations, and of course Product Design.
The Product Design team is responsible for the design systems that underpin all our products, as well as the specific screens and workflows that make up a product’s user experience. Our products include the Stripe Dashboard on web and mobile, which users rely on to run their business, as well as internal tools that other Stripes use to help our users and protect them against fraud or malicious actors. Other products we work on include Atlas, Sigma, Radar, and our external docs, used primarily by developers when integrating Stripe’s APIs. However, boundaries between teams are permeable, so you can certainly expect to collaborate with other designers and managers on a broad set of design challenges that don’t fall neatly into the Product Design category.
We’re looking for an experienced manager who will have the chance to help build a quickly growing and highly skilled group of designers. We go to extraordinary lengths to produce world-class work, and you will get to both deploy your hard-earned experience and build your skills in an organization where your area of work is highly valued.
- Be one of the first managers on a quickly growing and business-critical team
- Manage a team of designers working on Stripe’s core product experiences
- Grow the team to meet business demands and employee development needs
- Partner closely with Design Operations to manage resourcing of projects
- Collaborate with Design and Stripe leadership to determine design direction
- Inspire, motivate, and lead senior and junior designers to do the best work of their career
- Work closely with our Product Management, Product Engineering, Comms, Marketing, and senior leadership to deliver stunning and effective work
- Report to the Head of Product Design
You may be fit for this role if:
- You’ve managed a team of product designers before
- You have experience methodically developing designers’ skills and careers
- You excel at motivating and inspiring people to do their best work
- You are relentlessly customer-focused
- You have 2+ years of people management experience
- You excel at both written and spoken communication
- Your best work is done in a highly collaborative way
- You can find a meaningful balance between optimizing for speed, quality, and doing risky, but interesting work
You should include these in your application:
- Your LinkedIn profile or resume
- A link to your portfolio (even if it consists of or includes work done by your team)